- BA (2005), MPhil (2007), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- PhD (2011), University of Cambridge
- Assistant Professor, Department of Religion and Philosophy, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2017-present
- Research Assistant Professor, David C. Lam Institute for East-West Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2013-2017
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, David C. Lam Institute for East-West Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2011-2013
- Part-time Lecturer, Department of Cultural and Religious Studies and Divinity School of Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012-2013, 2014-2015
| III. Visiting Appointment
- Visiting Faculty Member, Nida School of Translation Studies 2016, organized by the Nida Institute for Biblical Scholarship of American Bible Society and the San Pellegrino University Foundation, Italy
| IV. Professional Affiliations
- Elected Fellow, Royal Historical Society (FRHistS, since 2019)
- Elected Fellow, Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (FRAS, since 2014)
- Vice-President, Society for the Study of History of Christianity in China (since 2018)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Christian Study Centre on Chinese Religion and Culture (since 2012)
| V. Research Awards and Prizes
- Winner, Barwis-Holliday Award for Far Eastern Studies, Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 2014
- Special Mention, Stephen C. Soong Translation Studies Memorial Awards, 2010
- Finalist, Sir George Staunton Prize, Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 2009
At Hong Kong Baptist University
- Christian Spirituality
- Christianity and China
- History, Memory and Justice
- Give and Forgive: Christian Perspectives
- Globalization and Ethics
- Introduction to China Studies (team-taught course)
- Religion and Modern Chinese Societies
- Western Diplomacy in Modern Asia (reading course)
At other universities
- The Bible and Chinese Christianity
- History of Chinese Bible Translation
- Introduction to East Asian History (team-taught course)
- Bible Translation, History of Christianity in China, History of Christian Missions, Language and Nationalism in Modern China, Religious Publishing and Print Culture in Modern China, Sino-Foreign Cultural Relations
| VIII. Publications
- Mak, George Kam Wah. Protestant Bible Translation and Mandarin as the National Language of China (Volume 131 of Sinica Leidensia). Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2017, xvi+413 pages. (ISBN: 9789004316270) [Reviews published in the Journal of Ecclesiastical History (AHCI Journal), Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (AHCI Journal), Church History (AHCI Journal), American Journal of Chinese Studies and New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies]
- 麥金華：《大英聖書公會與官話《和合本》聖經翻譯》。香港：基督教中國宗教文化社，2010，共159頁。(ISBN: 9789627706212)
Refereed Journal Articles
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “The Belated Formation of the China Bible House (1937): Nationalism and the Indigenization of Protestantism in Republican China.” Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 78, 3 (2015): 515-535.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “To Add or not to Add? The British and Foreign Bible Society’s Defence of the ‘Without Note or Comment’ Principle in Late Qing China.” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, series 3, 25, 2 (2015): 329-354.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “Laissez-faire or Active Intervention? The Nature of the British and Foreign Bible Society’s Patronage of the Translation of the Chinese Union Versions.” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society,series 3, 20, 2 (2010): 167-190.
- 麥金華：「大英聖書公會駐華經理與《和合本》中文聖經翻譯關係的探析」。《近代中國基督教史研究集刊》第八期 (2008/2009)，頁 32至46。
Refereed Book Chapters
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “Building a National Bible Society: The China Bible House and the Indigenization of Bible Work”. In The Church as Safe Haven: Christian Governance in China (Volume 55 of Studies in Christian Mission), edited by Lars Peter Laamann and Joseph Tse-Hei Lee. Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2018, pp. 205-237.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “The Colportage of the Protestant Bible in Late Qing China: The Example of the British and Foreign Bible Society.” In Religious Publishing and Print Culture in Modern China, 1800-2012, edited by Philip Clart and Gregory Adam Scott. Boston and Berlin: De Gruyter, 2015, pp. 17-49.
- Choi, Daniel K.T., and George K.W. Mak. “Catholic Bible Translation in Twentieth-Century China: An Overview.” In Catholicism in China, 1900-Present, edited by Cindy Yik-yi Chu. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, pp. 105-123.
- 麥金華：「聖經翻譯中的通行官話概念－官話作為中國國家語言的前奏」， 載於謝品然、曾慶豹編，《自上帝說漢語以來 —《和合本》聖經九十年》，香港：研道社，2010，頁21至35。
Invited Journal Articles
- 麥金華：「傳統與證據之爭：《和合本》新約希臘文底本問題初探」，《聖經年刊》第三期 (2014)，頁 1至18。
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “Chinese Bible Translations.” In Encyclopedia of Christianity in the Global South, edited by Mark A. Lamport. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018, pp.152-153.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “London Missionary Society.” In Encyclopedia of Christianity in the Global South, edited by Mark A. Lamport. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018, pp. 470-471.
- 樂亞蕾(Aretta Loving)著，麥金華譯：《片片生活點點情──聖經翻譯員的故事與分享》(Slices of Life: Stories and Devotions from a Bible Translator)，香港：威克理夫聖經翻譯會香港區委會，2004，共209頁。(ISBN: 9789622447578).
Scholarly Book Chapters
- Mak, George Kam Wah. The English Translation of Alexander Wylie, “Xiaoyin 小引”, Shanghae Serial 1, no. 1 (1857). In Science, Race, and Imperialism, edited by Marwa Elshakry and Sujit Sivasundaram. London: Pickering and Chatto, 2012, pp. 117-121.
- The Chinese Translation of “Introduction”, United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament (Fourth Edition). In New Testament: Greek-Chinese-English Triglot Edition. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Bible Society; Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2007, pp. 1-51.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. Review of Robert Morrison and the Protestant Plan for China by Christopher A. Daily. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, series 3, 25, 3 (2015): 542-546.
- Mak, George Kam Wah. “Oral and Written Traditions” (Review of The Interplay of the Oral and the Written in Chinese Popular Literature edited by Vibeke Børdahl and Margaret B. Wan). International Institute for Asian Studies Newsletter, no. 62 (winter 2012): 19.
Funded Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, “The Annotation Question of the Chinese Protestant Bible, 1877-1917” (2015-2018)
- Grant secured: HKD 529,000, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (Project no. 12405414)
- Co-Investigator, “Opening the Greek World to All: Creating a Chinese-Greek Lexical Database of the New Testament” (2014-2017)
- Grant secured: HKD 916,000, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (Project no. 14411914)
- First Co-Investigator, 「美國聖經公會在華活動及影響研究」 (A Study of the Activities of the American Bible Society in China and Their Impacts) (2016-2018)
- Grant secured: CNY 200,000, The National Social Science Fund of China (Project no. 15BZJ022)
- Principal Investigator, “Institutional Indigenization of Bible Work in China: A Study Focusing on the China Bible House”, January-December 2014
- Grant secured: HKD 50,000, Faculty Research Grant, Hong Kong Baptist University (Project no. FRG1/13-14/033)
- Co-Investigator, “Interdisciplinary Studies of Modern and Contemporary Sinologists’ Classical Translations and Chinese Works”, January 2013-December 2014
- Grant secured: HKD 1,500,000, Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Co-Investigator, “Sino-Foreign Relations in Chinese Christianity during the Republican Era”, March 2012-February 2013
- Grant secured: HKD 50,000, Faculty Research Grant, Hong Kong Baptist University (Project no. FRG1/11-12/029)
- Advisor, ‘Digitizing Old Chinese Bibles’ Project, United Bible Societies
- Special Consultant (honorary), Hong Kong Bible Society
- Reviewer, Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (AHCI Journal)
- Reviewer, Transactions of the Philological Society (AHCI Journal)
- Reviewer, The Bible Translator (ATLA Religion Journal)
- Reviewer, Multi-Year Research Grant, University of Macau
- Simultaneous Interpreter (English-Chinese), Chuen King Biblical Lecture, Divinity School of Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong